Dark Heresy - OpenRPG

Dark Heresy forums for several games ran on Veav's server in OpenRPG.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:06 am

Mining Helot Rig:

the Mining Helot Implantation Gives the player a new limb fitted with a breacher. The implant yields +10 to strength and +10 to toughness thanks to bionic skeletal reinforcements and surgically implanted muscle tissue. however, because of its bulk and cumbersome mass, it yeilds a -10 to agility. In the case of vladimir, it would actually be his arm, not an extra one.

Instead of a breacher, i was thinking a huge hydrolic fist covered in spikes. while it has the same stats as a breacher, i thought it would be more vladlike. My damage would be 1d10+13 (total) pen 4 Tearing, and the breacher for every righteous fury it does 2d10 instead of 1d10 damage. it has no power field.

while not a power fist, which would give me an energy field, 2d10+12 damage and pen of 8, i thought that it would be a good substitute for one, if the dm feels its overpowered at this point. while yes vlad is an officer, hes also a member of the inquisition and beholden to their desires for equipment as well as what is available on the ship.

im firmly aware of the dms issues regarding this and how it must relate to a good story, and i figured we could find such a rig for vlad in one of the ports we refuel at easier than a powerfist. while id rather HAVE a power fist of course, i was just thinking of this as an alternative.

for some reason when i think this i cant help but think of Big O
Back to top Go down
Veav

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:58 pm

This is now a general pre-mission request/activity thread.

Modesty requested larger breasts. Given Copper's resources, and that it has no direct mechanical benefit (although I'm sure she can use it as an excuse to buy advancements with XP), this should be a cinch. Per the crafting rules in the Inquisitor's HB I see it as an ordinary task - it's not routine, but it's not challenging either, given he's operating on a completely healthy patient. Duration is likely in shifts, not that it matters since this is downtime. The cost; well, it's a simple bio component, oughta set Modesty back 250, or 500 if you want to count it per breast, well within her means. He'll be cooperating with Makrell to help with the test roll. Honestly I don't see any need to roll this one out - if you're in agreement, she blows the thrones and ends up with bigger tits, and Copper ends up with the experience of performing cosmetic surgery on a fellow acolyte.

Kaylin requested a melta sword. Yes, really. This is more involved. On the mechanical side: let's take a basic meltagun (Basic, 20m, 2d10+4 E, Pen 12, Clip 5, reload 2 full, weight 8 kg). Drop the range so it's now a melee weapon and call it Unbalanced (-10% to parry). The design of the weapon is such that it delivers a dose of melta upon contact while unlocked, meaning any successful attack, any parry, or any attack that is parried (potentially fucking up the other weapon as per power blades). While locked it behaves as per axe stats (1d10+1 R, Pen 0, Unbalanced). Locking and unlocking is the same action as a fire select action on firearms, whatever the hell that is, and the weapon takes regular melta clips. As an aside, she intends to use this one-handed, I suggest that it be considered Unwieldy (cannot parry) while one-handed and Unbalanced while two-handed.

On the crafting side: difficult, I think. It's less complex than an entire vehicle and it's just a matter of forging it in a clever manner that won't spill melta all over your hands. Crafting duration is in weeks. Material costs: even exotic metals are cheap enough to be readily affordable with our savings, a few hundred thrones for some plates to work with and a number of weapon parts. On the other hand you may want to require he start with an existing weapon frame in which case its cost would bump that higher. Copper would cooperate with others in doing this, but we don't have any named characters who do this sort of thing, so it's up to you about their availability. He'll want to make sure it's good quality, since Kaylin tends to defend him with her weapons.

Copper himself, you know what he's after: seal-artifact tattoos. If you can implant an entire mining drill into someone's arm I don't see why you can't implant some sacred anti-corruption stuff. Crafting doesn't cover this sort of thing so we still need to argue about this...

Between these projects, the three months ought to fly by pretty quickly for him. I'm picking up Lip Reading as well - probably because you can't hear shit while beating metal into shape.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:16 pm

If/When Copper would do the implants Modesty would spend her months in recovery helping to see if she can acquisition those parts needed for said things for Copper's work and also work on her own schemes in the process.

To further reiterate Copper's thing, the implants are merely RP based and not meant to provide any other benefit save for RP. (IE no boosts to Fel or anything like that).
Back to top Go down
http://dhopenrpg.forumotion.net
Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:34 pm

Veav wrote:
This is now a general pre-mission request/activity thread.

Modesty requested larger breasts. Given Copper's resources, and that it has no direct mechanical benefit (although I'm sure she can use it as an excuse to buy advancements with XP), this should be a cinch. Per the crafting rules in the Inquisitor's HB I see it as an ordinary task - it's not routine, but it's not challenging either, given he's operating on a completely healthy patient. Duration is likely in shifts, not that it matters since this is downtime. The cost; well, it's a simple bio component, oughta set Modesty back 250, or 500 if you want to count it per breast, well within her means. He'll be cooperating with Makrell to help with the test roll. Honestly I don't see any need to roll this one out - if you're in agreement, she blows the thrones and ends up with bigger tits, and Copper ends up with the experience of performing cosmetic surgery on a fellow acolyte.

Kaylin requested a melta sword. Yes, really. This is more involved. On the mechanical side: let's take a basic meltagun (Basic, 20m, 2d10+4 E, Pen 12, Clip 5, reload 2 full, weight 8 kg). Drop the range so it's now a melee weapon and call it Unbalanced (-10% to parry). The design of the weapon is such that it delivers a dose of melta upon contact while unlocked, meaning any successful attack, any parry, or any attack that is parried (potentially fucking up the other weapon as per power blades). While locked it behaves as per axe stats (1d10+1 R, Pen 0, Unbalanced). Locking and unlocking is the same action as a fire select action on firearms, whatever the hell that is, and the weapon takes regular melta clips. As an aside, she intends to use this one-handed, I suggest that it be considered Unwieldy (cannot parry) while one-handed and Unbalanced while two-handed.

On the crafting side: difficult, I think. It's less complex than an entire vehicle and it's just a matter of forging it in a clever manner that won't spill melta all over your hands. Crafting duration is in weeks. Material costs: even exotic metals are cheap enough to be readily affordable with our savings, a few hundred thrones for some plates to work with and a number of weapon parts. On the other hand you may want to require he start with an existing weapon frame in which case its cost would bump that higher. Copper would cooperate with others in doing this, but we don't have any named characters who do this sort of thing, so it's up to you about their availability. He'll want to make sure it's good quality, since Kaylin tends to defend him with her weapons.

Copper himself, you know what he's after: seal-artifact tattoos. If you can implant an entire mining drill into someone's arm I don't see why you can't implant some sacred anti-corruption stuff. Crafting doesn't cover this sort of thing so we still need to argue about this...

Between these projects, the three months ought to fly by pretty quickly for him. I'm picking up Lip Reading as well - probably because you can't hear shit while beating metal into shape.

a melta sword? O.o

sounds like a plasma blade to me, check out the energy blade in the forge world list thats pretty much what youre looking at. also, check out the melta cutter in the hive world section, also.

i mean even the energy blade is of such archaic integrety that it pushes the bounds of tech heresy. making a melta blade might be pushing past heresy im not sure. not only that, but because melta technology though widely used is not very widely understood, id probably make it a very difficult build, plus, price of materials. a melta gun or inferno pistol (remember an inferno pistol can be used in hand to hand too!) will cost you an arm and a leg. this doubly so.

i dont think you understand the complexity of creating such a weapon would be far more complex than a vehicle. probably insurmountable though. size does not dictate ease in the least. i dont know how the dm feels about this, but youre looking at about 3500 gelt for an inferno pistol to work with, the stigmata of heresy for tampering with such a thing, and the expertise required to understand both metla technology and force techology that would solidify the blade in a way that it can be physical enough to parry with.

its conjecture at the very best, metagaming at the worst. no, im not calling you a metagamer. i just htink this is taking too many liberties.
Back to top Go down
Veav

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:45 pm

That's nice, Vlad. I appreciate your describing what you think I'm talking about. Go back to your power fists, eh?
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:04 pm

for one thing this forum is not for slinging shit at each other, so please dont do that.

secondly, im looking at this from a warhammer 40k technology perspective. i am not asking for anything thats rare or unheard of in the universe. you are looking to design an entirely new technology.

i mean i see what youre saying. sort of like a gunsword with a melta pistol in it, right? basically, thatd be easy, to take Chimera Pistol Sword and replace out the Irontalon with an Inferno Pistol. it makes sense, except that itd be more of a one shot thing, kind of like one of those flamer one shot things. any sort of weapon like that in dark heresy tends to be one shot.

it makes sense, thing is, like i said, its modifying existing technology which boarders on heresy

yeah i know i missread your original post Razz sue me.

Last edited by Inquisitor Bartholomew on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Veav

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:24 pm

You've got the gist now, yes - that's more or less what I have in mind. I'll have a rudimentary sketch eventually once my scanner remembers it can work. If your objection is the potential of tech-heresy, why not let Chosen decide that, and everything else? I mean, I don't see how it's really your place to be all over someone else's request. You aren't the GM of this game.
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:25 pm

well this is an open forum for discussion freely. i wasnt aware i told you that you can and cant do anything? i was just offering opinions based on the game world.

if youre going to be defensive about it, ill just leave it be.
Back to top Go down
Veav

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Excellent! That's what I'm after.

Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 pm

My name is Vladimir Silvreski, and i endorse the above post.
Back to top Go down
Chosen One

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:46 pm

Allow me to preface my answers with the following caveat. As mentioned in the cheating section of the House rules, I go through the effort of balancing my PC's against what I throw at them. Generally speaking, if something seems beatable, it is, even if difficultly. Despite what you guys may think, I have no issue with you guys running around with the best equipment money can (and sometimes can't) buy. But I try to keep balance. So:

If I find that your social characters are becoming more skilled/capable, I will respond by making opponents who are better liars, more influential or harder to approach.
If I find that your characters are exceptionally clever or tech savvy, I will respond by making opponents much more conniving/backstabby, allies harder to determine and technology either harder to work with, more alien or simply more complex.
And (here is the key one) if I find your characters are becoming incredibly skilled and (more importantly) better equipped for battle, I will increase the difficulty of your opponents commensurately.

The reason that last one is key, is that though there is little upper limit to how much damage you guys can do, the amount you can take is actually fairly little. Stronger enemies won't just have more wounds; they will have more firepower of their own. You are free to make your weapons as big and imposing as you like. But understand that you must be prepared to be smart about how you employ your shiny weapons, as eventually you guys will meet something that will easily one-shot you. And as Copper is the only one who has both the luck and skill that I have seen to regularly avoid getting toasted by baddies, this bodes poorly for the rest of you.

So here it is. You have received fair warning. I will respond to the actual requests themselves in the next post, which I will work on directly after this.
Back to top Go down
Chosen One

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Vlad: The weapon you have described sounds reasonable and would fit with Vlad's persona as far as I can see it. Considering its cost and rarity, I see no issue with it. There will, however, be none on board the Imperial Light. However, there may be parts that can be pulled together, and with a few Inquiry rolls (you or Mod) and a few tech rolls (Mak or Copper) we could get one up and running for you in 3 months.

Mod: Assuming you find the bio components and Copper and Makky feel like groping your bosom (FOR SCIENCE) 3 months is easy work. You will not find them on the Imperial Light. Maybe something on the other ships that we meet up with might though. Make an Inquiry roll when we play next game. +20 I imagine.

Kaylin: After talking with Veav, I don't see why that would be impossible. That being said, you must all recognize that inventing new things, especially powerful tech, treads very close to what might be considered 'unholy ground'. Were you an Omniprophet, no worries! But playing with tech that is produced via an STC can be dangerous ground. It is one thing to store the knowledge away in your head (and the knowledge that Copper has would give him the schematics if not the full insight needed to produce it) it is another to attempt to show the Imperium what cool things you can make. That being said, the Imperial Light does would have neither the equipment nor the tools to produce such a device, and Karius would kill you if you tried to mess with any present Meltas on board. If you could get a hold of one (or sneak on a Forge World and into the darker lairs where Melta chambers are produced) and find a well enough stocked lab (probably have to bribe or knock out a Mid to high level Tech Priest to do it) you could probably pull it off, yes.

Copper: This is a difficult one to answer. IC wise, you are probably once again suggesting a heretical thing. The seals are specially created in a certain way as to assure purity and conformity to the Imperial Creed and proper reverence to the Emperor.
OOC though I can't really be certain why it wouldn't work. Knowing what I do regarding the various seals and holy scriptures and taking into account what it takes in the Adeptus Astartes book regarding their effects, I can't say I know what exactly gives them their power. Whether it is simply because it inspires the wearer, or it is something about the seal, or whether or not you really are getting cosmic Emperor radiation that is just making you that much more resistant to attack.
In any case, I'd imagine that you'd be REALLY hard pressed to find an Eccleisiarchy member to try it, though I am sure you could get tats or electoos for fluff or to fake people out. Bear in mind that the seals aren't exactly targetable, and you can remove them if you don't want to broadcast your intent. It is of note that tatoos are somewhat harder to do that with. I'll probably have to say "no" it can't be done until you either get more clout with the religious right or somehow Copper figures out the magic of a seal (unlikely).
Back to top Go down
Veav

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:19 pm

I acknowledge and respect your caveat, and wish only to observe for the record (and on the record, in the latest CvK log) that Copper and Kaylin are ICly motivated to load for bear this mission. They're about to be dropped into bat country and neither of them are comfortable with it - we wouldn't be gearing up like this to deal with cultists. It's the ciiiiircle of liiiiife...

That said, the melta sword thing isn't a big deal. Kaylin's fine with her other blades. Once it becomes apparent that the logistics are against it, he'll drop it to focus on Modesty's request and on his own designs, as per our PM conversation.
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:23 pm

pffft vlad would totally use a hydrolic lift arm with spikes to heretics. because it kills them HARDER.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:26 pm

Bear in mind that Modesty just wanted bigger boobs, with machine guns in them >.<
Back to top Go down
http://dhopenrpg.forumotion.net
Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:27 pm

SHES A FEMBOT BABY!
Back to top Go down
Chosen One

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:50 pm

Admin wrote:
Bear in mind that Modesty just wanted bigger boobs, with machine guns in them >.<

Boobs with machine guns in them would probably be easier and cheaper to produce than just plain implants in the 40k universe.
Back to top Go down
Veav

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:59 pm

They're just fat, sheesh. I'll liposuction some desk clerk. There's yer biomass!
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:33 pm

My name is Vladimir Silvreski, and i support bigger boobs.
Back to top Go down
Stormtrooper

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:58 pm

I know that I've been talking about it for awhile now, but I for one am very much interested in a fully-automatic bolter. Really, I don't see why the normal bolters lack an automatic fire thing. It wouldn't need to be best quality or anything (since when did soldiers get best quality equipment? Psh, we're lucky to even get a gun. They used to give us sticks.) but it would allow me to support the team better with suppressive fire and still have some powerful shooty on my side.

Even the Rogue Trader bolters have automatic fire. Even better for me though, would be an auto bolter with the accurate trait.

Something like Range 100, 1d10+5 pen 5, Tearing, Accurate, S/2/5. According to the MRB, Aiming can only be used for single shots, so not full-aim-fullautoing.

Really this is the sort of weapon that Scout Sergeant Tellion has, and his was custom made. Apparently they don't mass-produce the best guns.
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:38 pm

they have a sniper bolter. it does 2d10X damage pen 4, a range of 250, accurate, and a clip of three. a fire selector can turn that into a clip of 9 though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.   

Back to top Go down

To helot, or not to helot? that is the question.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1