Dark Heresy - OpenRPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark Heresy - OpenRPG

Dark Heresy forums for several games ran on Veav's server in OpenRPG.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ship Idea for Rogue Trader

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Inquisitor Bartholomew

Inquisitor Bartholomew

Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Empty
PostSubject: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 4:18 am

working with the ship generator here is what we came upon. oddly enough most of our issue came by power more than space, where we used the smaller ship, the energy remains the same till you get into the huge ships. so all in all we are pretty happy with it. anyone have any issues/applause?

20 profit rating/ 70 ship rating
end result: 39 profit rating/51 ship rating

also temporary name. "Shes One of Ours, Sir!" just to sew a few moments of confusion before the fight. (working name of course)

Hazeroth-Class Privateer

Crew: 22000
Accel: 5.7 gratvities max acceleration
Speed 11
Detection +17
Armor 14
Space 35
Maneuverability +25
Hull Integrity: 32
Turret Rating 1
SP 30
Weapon Capacity Dorsal 1, Prow 1

Component Power Space Sp
Total 35 70 (40 available)
Engine: Modified Jovian Pattern Class 2 Drive 45 gen 6 3
Strelov 1 Warp Engine 10 10 -
Warpsbane Hull 1 - 2
Single Void Shield Array 5 1 -
Bridge of Antiquity 1 1 2
Ancient Life Support 2 1 2
Voidsman Quarters 1 3
Titanforge Lance Weapon (dorsal) 9 4 2
Mars Pattern Macrocannon 4 2 1
Trophy Room 1 1 1
Murder Servitors 1 1 2
Crew Reclaimation 1 1 1
Librarium Vault 1 1 1
Teleportarium 1 1 1
Auto-stablized Logis Targeter 5 0 2
Cargo hold and Lighter bay 1 2 1
Used 44 35 51 (19 left over)

Modified Warp Engine: adds +1 to speed decrease the space the drive takes up by 4

Warpsbane Hull: +10 to navigate through the warp, re roll warp travel encounters.

Bridge of Antiuity+10 to all command tests or social skill tests any character makes while on the bridge, Increases the ships maneuverability by +5

Auto Stabilized Logis Targeter
Increases the ships detection by +5, Adds +5 to all ballistic skill tests to fire a ships weapons

Teleportarium: adds +20 to command tests during boarding actions

Ancient Life Support: increase morale permanently by 2, reduce all losses to crew population due to non-combat sources by 1. used as ships life sustainer.

Murder Servitors: Add +20 bonus to hit and run actions to the opposed command test. when determining critical hits inflicted by a hit and run action they participate in, the character conducting the raid may select any result between 1 and 6

Trophy Room: when working towards a trade, exploration or criminal objective, players earn an additional 50 achievement points.

Librarium Vault: any investigation skills aboard this ship gain +10

Crew Reclamation: Reduce all losses to crew population by 3, to a minimum of 1, increase all losses to morale by 1.

Cargo Hold and Lighter Bay: +50 achievement when working towards trade or cirminal objective. -3 maneuverability.

Last edited by Inquisitor Bartholomew on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Felix

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 4:30 am

/me gives it the omega stamp of aproval
Back to top Go down
Chosen One

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 9:46 pm

A couple points that need to be addressed.
1) We can't have a lance weapon on a dorsal gun port on any ship that is a frigate or smaller can only put a lance on the prow (see page 202 under the "Supplemental Components" spiel). The ship DOES have a prow slot however, so if we wanted to keep it we could move it there.
2) I count not 3, not 4, but 5 pieces of archeotech on this ship. One of every type it seems. The rules state that a ship shouldn't even have one unless we rolled that under complications and quite frankly I agree. If we DO take this ship, I honestly expect the GM to kill us within a few mission with the sheer bulk of forces that come to take it from us. Because seriously? Dayum.
3) The space does add up to 35 so that is good. As does power. However the fact that we are stretching to our limits like this on both accounts of power and space means a whole lot of stuff was crammed in there, which leads to point 4:
4) This is a munchkin ship. No way around calling it anything else. It has all of the best and all fit into a fast a little vessel with hard hitting weapons and every conceivable bonus possible. The ship has stopped being a vehicle of our characters and our stories and become the "one stop to victory" button.

An interesting idea and a good run at it Bart, but personally I am not a fan of this ship. If the GM doesn't do her proper duty and hit us REAL hard with a lot of powerful people whom we can't reasonably defend ourselves, then there wouldn't even really be a need for most of us to show up. The ship could do it all. Those are my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Bartholomew

Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 10:38 pm

i understand exactly what youre saying on all accounts, and generally i agree, however, the ship is supposed to be ancient pre-heresy, so i was looking at it from that standpoint. im not going to justify it as right, only that it was the reason i did it the way i did it.

also, good eye. makes sense about the cannons.

ill try another go. however, if no one knows we have archeotech on our ship how can they come after us to take it? it doesnt make sense that suddenly people would automatically just know.
Back to top Go down
Chosen One

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 2:12 am

Yes, but our dear friend Omega's very purpose is to catalog archeotech and locate xeno-tech and report it back to the Cult of Mars. So, they'd know about it VERY quickly. Not to mention a certain astropath would probably do something similar simply because part of what he does is report on the condition of the vessel. So I can bet the secret would get out pretty quick.
Back to top Go down
Felix

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 2:24 am

this is supposed to be a pre heresy ship, meaning it WOULD have a shit load of archeotech....we probably wouldn't even need to roll to pick the Reliquary of Mars origin, as it was laid out in story. Also, the tech priests of mars wont be trying to take the ship from us because, as per omegas back story, he is an expert on archeotech and was sent from mars to work with it... so tjhey would have no reason to try to usurp it and hide it away when a member of the Mechanicus (and two followers of the omnissiah in general) are part of the group who owns it

And we already have people trying to kill us for the ship before we even have it, this sounds like the kind of attention that would be brought by a nice lil ship like this. (unknown human pirates AND dark eldar) afterall, if it just had a teleportum thats sweet, sweet air? ok thats nice, an ancient bridge? woot? but when you wrap it all together, you have a prize worth attacking...

aside from a few misc bonuses a few +5 and +10s and a really good +40 hit and run (which we have to be damn close to do) this ship is surprisingly close to the recommended pre made rogue trader ship.

and i feel the nesesity to point out that this ship/profit factor is just 1 point off the "new player" generalized rating

So how would this be munchkin in relation to what we know about the ship (it being ancient and all) or even in general, i cant see how this is the i win button you say it is?

The beacon from the other ship was farrrr more valuable than anything that was built onto this ship durign the creation process.

Just my 7 cents
Back to top Go down
Chosen One

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 3:06 am

Counter points to Felix:

1) A destroyer/privateer carrying artifacts of ancient power and arcane nature, even if it merely has one, has people looking to at least visit and quite often TAKE it. A ship carries FIVE of these ancient devices and you really think that the Omniprophet's of Mars will say "Oh sure, go galavanting around deep space with tech we barely understand and lack a STC for, I am sure it will be fine!" just because they have an Explorator on board? That alone defies imagination, but add onto that maybe the people in charge don't try anything, there are any number of others in the Adeptus Mechanicus who wouldn't be nearly as scrupulous. A ship with this much archeotech is not a a ship, it is a holy shrine to the Omnissiah, and not a mere tool to be used by a bunch of fleshlings that don't understand how amazing it is. And that is JUST Mechanicus.

2) Considering the range of most guns is between 4 and 6, getting to within the 5 VUs you need to be to use the teleportarium, antique command bridge and murder servitors for a 50% to command test (60% if you include the Hit and Run bonus itself) to cause 1d5 critical damage EACH time it succeeds is a massive bonus. Don't even bother with the guns just "hit and run" the ship in a way that pierces through shields, armor AND hit/hull points (And then causes hull point damage afterwards just because). Even lance batteries can't step to that. That is a touch of death bonus. Two turns and a few lucky rolls and the enemy ship is hulked. No sir that is REALLY powerful. Then add in that the murder servitors let us select which effect we want, between 1 and 6? Heck, with that kind of bonus someone with a fellowship/command of 10 could reliably win most of the time. Munchkin city.

3) This one is more of a different of opinion not an actual refute on my part, but I see all those "little advantages" that all the archeotech give tend to add up real quick. Adding +5 detection is adding the ships detection onto your characters normal perception (plus whatever bonuses your character has). At the end of the day you + ship = 100+ skill on all possible matters. Given also that archeotech tends to take up less room or provide more power than normal stuff and you can suddenly cram in ever more weapons or items without having to balance other aspects of speed versus overall weight.

4) I agree that the Beacon is a level of archeotech that any tech-priest I made would more than likely MURDER for to get a hold of. It is worth noting that the ship is under the control of an Inquisitor (who has been granted essentially a Warrant of her own), so there are NO legal means by which one can grab it from her, political games within the Inquisition not withstanding. I could also make the relatively weak argument that most don't even know what a "Beacon" is, so they might be curious but not yet avaricious. Our ship would contain known archeotech of great value making it worthy of notice right from the get go to those who want to make some REAL good money real quick. As a result we will be a much more tempting prize that doesn't risk bringing down the Hidden and Holy Eye of the Emperor down on those that would make a grab for the ship.

There are some other points I could make, but there would be ways around them if the GM played it cleverly (or just made it so we often got ambushed to negate stuff like our immense speed). So i'll leave it at that for now.
Back to top Go down
Felix

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 3:51 am

1) is a very good point, but that is assuming that anyone knows whats on it right away and if we LET the word get out about the secrets of our ship, alot of that stuff can easily be concealed, infact the only outward thing about it that would appear to be acient is its drive system, otherwise you would need to get in close and inspect it to really find out the meat of the ancient systems, but again, that is the adversity we deal with for grabbing a pre dark age ship. and if the Mechanic wants to worship the ship then the only time they would really grow angry is if we denied them, but in the storyline we are following up in the wake of a black crusade, all the ships need to be used, one cannot be just locked away as an artifact, especially when we are working under the mandate of an inquisitor who all but bequeathed the ship into our care.

2) is a very good point, i have no counterpoint, that i quite munchkuin, i didn't know a hit and run automatically scored criticals lol that is a very good argument against the teleportum: also another advantage that wasnt mentioned, it bypasses the pilot check, leaving the turret point useless and negating the ability to shoot them down Very Happy

3) though i think we get like +3 speed +5 bs +5 detection +10 social and +1 moral if i remember correctly from our STC parts (discounting teleportum for the reason above)

4) because an inquisitor gave us this ship (all but) i am sure we would have a bit more leaway with imperial (and adeptus) sources. But with how much we tromped around with the beacon, that STC power armor that was there, hell the Beacon itself is a one of a kind object, Even if it belonged to th inquisition the Adeptus Mechanicus could theoretically in that case tell them to screw off and give them a different ship as this one item was too valuable to have, as you pointed out tromping around the universe.

There are alot of pros and cons, i have to admit, the hit and running is a bit insane when it is all laid out. The ship could use some tweaking but the general idea (and design) are still good. But as pointed out it is a dark age ship, so it should have a number of STC systems. Also: A high member of the Adeptus Mechanicus entrusted the ship to us as well, and i have the memory core to prove that lol
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Bartholomew

Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 12:16 pm

Alright, heres the new version. hilariously enough, we are now more powerful than ever with only 1 archeotech component (engines)

Starting Ship Points: 70
Starting Profit Rating: 20

Ending Ship Points: 50
Ending Profit Rating: 50

Hazaroth pattern privateer

Dimensions: 1.5 km long, 0.25 abeam
Mass: 5 megatons
Crew: 22000 crew
Accel: 5.6 Gravities Max Acceleration

Speed: 11
Maneuverability: +25
Detection: +12
Hull Integrity: 32
Armor: 14
Turret Rating: 1
Space: 35
SP: 30
Weapon Capacity: Dorsal 1 prow 1

Components Power Space SP
Components Total 35 30
Mod Jovian Class 2 Drive 45gen 6 3
Strelov 2 Warp Engine 10 10
Warpsbane Hull 1 2
Command Bridge 2 2 1
M-1.r Life Sustainer 3 1
Voidsman Quarters 1 2
Mark 100 Auger Array 3
Ryza Pattern Plasma Battery 7 4 2
Ryza Pattern Plasma Battery 7 4 2
Cargo Hold and Lighter Bay 1 2 1
Librarium Vault 1 1 1
Trophy Room 1 1 1
Crew Reclaimation Facility 1 1 1
Murder Servitors 1 1 2
Munitorium 1 3 2
Augmented Retro Thrusters 3 0 2
Total 41 35 49

Modified Jovian Pattern Class 2 Drive: Adds +1 to the ships speed, decreases the amount of space the drive takes up by 4

Warpsbane Hull: +10 to navigate through the warp, re roll warp travel encounters.

Command Bridge: All command tests made by the captain are at +5, and all Ballistic Tests when firing ship weapons increase by +5

Mark 1.r Life Sustainer: Life Support system was designed for reliability and does little to remove the stink of oil and warp engine discharge. Increase all Morale loss by 1.

Mark-100 Auger Array: Standard Sensor Array

Ryza Pattern Plasma Battery (Dorsal): Strength 4, Damage 1d10+4 (1d10+5) Crit 4, Range 5

Ryza Pattern Plasma Battery (Prow): Strength 4, Damage 1d10+4 (1d10+5) Crit 4, Range 5

Cargo Hold and Lighter Bay: Cargo Hold and Lighter Bay: +50 achievement when working towards trade or criminal objective. -3 maneuverability.

Augmented Retro Thrusters: +5 to the ships maneuverability

Murder Servitors: Add +20 bonus to hit and run actions to the opposed command test. when determining critical hits inflicted by a hit and run action they participate in, the character conducting the raid may select any result between 1 and 6

Trophy Room: when working towards a trade, exploration or criminal objective, players earn an additional 50 achievement points.

Librarium Vault: any investigation skills aboard this ship gain +10

Crew Reclamation: Reduce all losses to crew population by 3, to a minimum of 1, increase all losses to morale by 1.

Munitorium: +25 to military objectives, all macro batteries gain +1 to their listed damage

While i think chosen is being a LITTLE overzealous about this issue it doesnt change the fact that we are doing this for everyones approval. so these changes hopefully are alright with everyone.

had to sacrifice some from the life support system to fit the munitorium in. but youll thank me when we tear our first ship apart Razz
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Bartholomew

Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 3:51 pm

people seem to think that my ships are too powerful. so here ya go.

try this one

Ship Points: 30
Ending Ship Points: 29
Jericho Class Pilgrem Vessel

Speed 3
Maneuverability: -5
Detection: +5
Hull Integrity: 50
Armor: 13
Turret Rating: 1
Space: 45
Sp: 20

Weapon Capacity: 1 prow 1 port 1 starboard

Main Cargo Hold Automatic 2 power
Power Space Sp
35 45 20
Jovian Pattern Class 1 Drive 35 8
Strelov 1 Warp Engine 10 10
Gellar Field 1 1
Void Shield Array 5 1
Combat Bridge 1 1
Vitae Pattern Life Sustainer 4 2
Voidsmen Quarters 1 3
m-100 Auger Array 3
Thunderstrike Macrocannons 2 2 1
Augmented Retro-thrusters 4 2
Extended Supply Vaults 1 4 2
Armor Plating 1 2
Compartmentalized Cargo hold 2 5 2
35 38 29
Back to top Go down
Miriam Dutisne

PostSubject: Ship Possiblity   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 5:31 pm

This is just an idea and a thought, but it is based on warhammer 40k Time Applicable ships. Due to Riles mentioning that this is a ship that has been lost for a very long time, and an also mention of it being Pre-Heresy i have Come up with this thought.

Based on Ship Points: 59/70
Based on Starting Profit: 20

Imperial Defiant-Lt. Cruiser Pattern (Heavily modified into privateer vessel)

Dimensions: 4 Km Long approx, 0.5 Km at the fins approximate
Mass: 20 Megatonnes approx
Crew: 65,000 Crew, Approx
Accel: 4.7 gravities max
The Imperial Defiant is a less common Voss Triumvirate vessel. But no less a capable ship Originally designed as a light cruiser carrier able to hold and launch 2 squadrons of fighters this version was later modified into a mass cargo and capable combat vessel. With slightly larger engines to push its speed closer to that of the smaller frigates and maintain the firepower of a Cruiser-Lt. Cruiser. Due to the modifications away from the Carrier design it has became a capable Transport as well. Unfortunately age has gotten to her and is shown in the following stats only 2 weapons survive, and barely any of her hull isn't marred by a potch mark, burn smudge or rust. Many of her Archotech components have had to been gutted out due to failures and destruction.
(any roll may restore 1 more archotech) And what few Xeno weapons and equipment were stripped off and sold before laft at her current resting place(again random roll can restore 1 possibly).

Speed:9 Maneuverability: +22
Detection:+18 Hull Integrity: 30 rusted / 60 original (due to time spent sitting, could be refitted back to 60 with time and a good dry-dock.)
Armour: 19 Turret Rating: 1
Space: 48/75 SP:40
Weapon Capacity: Prow 1, Port 1, Starboard 1, Dorsal 1

Complications:
Machine spirit Oddities: (haven't rolled)

Past Histories: (Have not rolled)

Archeotech Components: Gave one archotech due to age of ship.
Modified Jovian Pattern Class 4 Drive: 52/75 Power Generated 10 space 3 SP +1 Speed -4 space
Due to heavier drive for a heavier class +1 Speed

Xenotech Components:

Essential Components:
Plasma Drive: (See Above)
Warp Engines:
Strelov 2 Warp Engine: 12 power requirement and 12 space requirement, Allows the vessal to enter and remain in the immaterium
Geller Fields:
Gellar Field: Power requirement 1 no space required. Protects the vessel from the myriad dangers of the Immaterium
Void Shields:
Multiple Void Shield Array: Power Requirement 7 Space 2, Provides ship 2 Void Shields
Ships Bridge:
Command Bridge: Power Requirement 3 Space 2 SP +1
Enhanced Cogitator Relays: +5 All Ballistic Skill tests +5 All command tests: If component suffers a critical hit it becomes unpowerd on a roll of 3 or higher on a 1d10
Augur Arrays:
R-50 Auspex Multi-Band: Power Requirement 4, Space 0
Stellar Detection: +5 to Maneuver Tests -2 Detection
Long Distance Scan: +50 Achievement towards Exploration Objectives

Supplemental Components:
Cargo Holds and Passenger Compartments:
Cargo Hold and Lighter Bay: Power 1 Space 2 SP 1
Hidden Spaces: +50 Achievement Points when working a Trade or Criminal Objective Unbalanced: -3 Maneuverability
Barracks: Power requirement 2, Space 4, SP 2
Soldiers: +100 Achievement points Towards Military Objectives
Reinforcements: +20 Command Tests when Involving boarding actions and Hit and Run.

Augments and Enhancements:
Augmented Retro-Thrusters: 4 power Requirement, 2 SP
Agile: +5 Maneuverability

Additional Facilties:
Trophy Room: Power Requirement 1, Space, 1, SP 1
Past Experiences: +50 When working towards Exploration, Trade, or Criminal objectives.

Librarium Vault: Power Requirement 1, Space 1, SP 1
Accumulated Data: +10 Investigation skill tests made aboard ship

Extended Supply Vaults: Power 1, Space 4, SP 2
Extensive Stores: Double the time the ship may remain in the void without suffering Crew Population or Morale Loss. When makeing Extended Repairs, repair 1 additional Hull Integrity
Plenty for all: Increase Morale Permanently by 1

Munitorium: Power Requirement 3, Space 4, SP 2
Well Armed: +25 Achievement points toward completing a military objective.
Ordinatus Extremus: All Macrobatteries on this ship gain +1 to their listed damage
Volatile: if this component is damaged, it explodes The ship takes 2d5 damage to Hull Integrity, and a component of GM's Choice is set on fire.

Macrobatteries and Lances:
Ryza Pattern Plasma Battery(x2 1 Port 1 Starboard) Power 16 Space 8, SP 4 Strneght 4 each
Damage: 1d10+5 Crit Rating 4, Range 5
Back to top Go down
Felix

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 6:45 pm

i personally like barts second design, i personally wouldn't want to have a cruiser and the smaller privateer gives us a better profit rating.

Edit: as for this: 30 rusted / 60 original A ship in space, that has been cleared and mothballed wouldnt rust at all, as aforementioned its in space lol Rusting requires oxidization of the metal.

Plus i would appreciate crew reclamation facilities on the ship Razz
Back to top Go down
Miriam Dutisne

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:41 pm

Meh prophet smoffit and i would have added things the gm told me to any way, as far as the rest you guys asked for a 70 point vessel i built and finished with less, and personally a raider sux in my opinion, and as to the metal rusting thing SHE DID SAY IT WAS ON A FUCKING PLANET wich means it would suffer atmosphere and all kinds of other things
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Bartholomew

Inquisitor Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 9:11 pm

doesnt matter to me. i just did my best to make a ship. seems so far people like my second idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ship Idea for Rogue Trader   Ship Idea for Rogue Trader Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ship Idea for Rogue Trader
Page 1 of 1